CRIME

Karachi Explosion in Saddar Leaves 34 Injured, Probe Underway

At least 34 injured after fire & explosion at a basement facility near Taj Medical Complex, Karachi. Officials suspect explosive/firecracker material stored illegally. CM Sindh orders probe.
2025-08-21
Karachi Explosion in Saddar Leaves 34 Injured, Probe Underway

KARACHI — A powerful explosion followed by a fire ripped through a three-storey building near the Taj Medical Complex in Saddar on Wednesday, leaving at least 34 people injured, several of them critically, officials confirmed.

According to Dr. Summaiya Syed, Police Surgeon at Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Centre, 34 injured individuals were shifted to hospitals, including two in critical condition at JPMC and another two at Civil Hospital Karachi.

Rescue-1122 spokesperson Hassaanul Haseeb Khan said that the blaze originated in the basement of the building where highly inflammable material for firecrackers was reportedly stored. “An initial probe suggests a short circuit triggered the fire, leading to a huge explosion,” he added. The blast damaged structural pillars, smashed windows in nearby buildings, and crushed vehicles under falling concrete blocks.

Twelve fire tenders were dispatched to the site, but firefighters faced difficulties as the fire reignited frequently due to explosive material and dense smoke in the basement. Officials reported that the fire was 60-70% under control by evening.

However, Counter-Terrorism Department (CTD) senior official Raja Umer Khattab contradicted the initial findings, stating that explosive material — not just firecracker raw material — had been stored in the facility. He warned that such quantities were “highly dangerous” in residential areas, recalling that CTD had previously seized two tons of explosives in the same locality.

Khattab further noted that under existing laws, shops are permitted to store only up to 50kg of firecracker material with proper licensing and safety SOPs. “This shop or godown was illegally established in a residential area, which caused substantial damage to human life and property,” he said.

The incident led to a complete closure of MA Jinnah Road, with Karachi Traffic Police diverting vehicles to alternate routes.

Sindh Chief Minister Murad Ali Shah took notice of the tragedy, directing the Karachi commissioner to ensure immediate medical aid for victims and submit a detailed report. He reiterated that storing hazardous materials near residential areas is strictly prohibited.

Sindh Home Minister Ziaul Hassan Lanjar also ordered police reinforcements to assist in rescue operations and emphasized a thorough investigation, including statements from survivors and verification of the facility’s license status.

The incident highlights Pakistan’s recurring issue of poor enforcement of safety regulations, which frequently leads to fires in commercial and residential structures. Just earlier this month, a blaze at a factory in the Karachi Export Processing Zone injured eight people and damaged multiple facilities, while in June, Karachi’s Millennium Mall fire destroyed hundreds of shops.

Authorities are continuing efforts to extinguish the fire and determine whether the facility was part of an illegal fireworks operation.