CRIME

Two GB Scouts Martyred in Terrorist Attack on KKH Checkpoint near Chilas

Terrorists opened fire on a GB Scouts checkpoint along the Karakoram Highway in Diamer, martyring two personnel & injuring another. Search ops launched.
2025-08-29
Two GB Scouts Martyred in Terrorist Attack on KKH Checkpoint near Chilas

GILGIT-BALTISTAN: Two Gilgit-Baltistan (GB) Scouts personnel were martyred and another injured when terrorists attacked a security checkpoint along the Karakoram Highway (KKH) near Chilas in Diamer district on Friday night, police confirmed.

According to Diamer Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Abdul Hameed, the attack took place at 12:15 am when unknown armed men fired from an elevated hilltop position at the GB Scouts checkpoint. “A total of nine personnel were present at the checkpoint when it came under fire,” the SSP said.

The martyrs were identified as Naib Subedar Khush Dad and Havaldar Ashraf, while Lance Naik Sajid Ali sustained an abdominal injury and is under treatment at Regional Headquarters (RHQ) Hospital, Chilas.

Police officials, including the deputy inspector general and district police officer, reached the site within 20 minutes. Security forces recovered two grenades, 10 spent shells, and found 17 bullet holes at the post. The assailants managed to flee.

Following the attack, Elite Force and additional police units were dispatched to strengthen the area and conduct raids in pursuit of the terrorists. No group has claimed responsibility so far.

Government’s Response

GB Interior Minister Shamsul Haq Lone confirmed that the area was sealed off immediately after the incident. “A large contingent of security forces reached the spot and expanded the search operation. There had been no prior intelligence regarding the attack,” he said, vowing that the perpetrators would be brought to justice.

He added that the injured soldier was in stable condition. “Those who attempt to sabotage peace in this otherwise peaceful region are enemies of the country and the nation,” Lone declared.

Government spokesperson Faizullah Faraq said GB Chief Minister Haji Gulbar Khan had taken strict notice of the attack and ordered an immediate pursuit of the culprits. He condemned the incident, calling it “an act of extreme cowardice.”

Background

The GB Scouts checkpoint at Chilas was established in December 2023, following an attack on an Islamabad-bound passenger bus that killed nine people and injured 21 others. In July this year, armed men also martyred a Federal Constabulary soldier at a forest checkpoint along the KKH in Diamer.

The latest attack underscores the fragile security situation in the region, where terrorists have repeatedly targeted security forces and civilians along the strategic Karakoram Highway.